Like a doula in your pocket, let me be the Steve Martin to your Roxanne!
1st of all, please forgive the obscure 1987 movie reference, but I've got to keep my sense of humor these days!
The sudden explosion of the novel Corona virus and associated Covid-19 disease has upended, literally, the entire world and everything humans have come to rely on and expect in order for society to function. This would be an easy time to give in to our lesser nature and indulge in catastrophic story lines in our minds.
NEVER BEFORE HAS THE PRACTICE OF MINDFULNESS BEEN AS IMPORTANT AS IT IS NOW!
We can choose to look at the countless examples of things outside of our individual control right now, or we can choose to focus on the things we still have going for us, the clean air we are privileged to breathe, our refrigerators full of healthy food, our reliable internet connections, the ability to focus on the breath in our lungs. Gaining control of where you allow your attention to settle is the key to happiness and success in all things! The struggles we are all collectively experiencing are profound and real, but the human race is miraculously adaptable, creative, and determined. We are generous, imaginative, and intelligent. And we are a team!
First Thing First:
Take a few minutes every day to develop a relaxation routine. Find a comfortable, quiet spot in your home. Allow the sounds of family members, pets, nature, and the inner-workings of your home to blend together into the most soothing white noise. Use a guided meditation or put on some calm music if you like. Begin by focusing on your breathing. Slow and deepen your inhale and exhale. Try to pay attention to the feeling of the air rushing through your nostrils, the sound of it traveling inside your body, the sensation of your lungs filling and emptying, the rise and fall of your chest and belly. Sink into your seat, feel gravity holding you down, here on earth, here in your warm and familiar home, here in your strong, healthy body. Focus on what feels good. Observe the thoughts that pop in and out of your attention. Dismiss the negative ones without judgment and relish the positive ones. The more you do it, the easier and more enjoyable this practice will become. Give yourself the gift of feeling good NO MATTER WHAT THE CIRCUMSTANCES ARE AROUND YOU!
Click the button to explore the Headspace website for tips on meditation and articles on the science of happiness and benefits of practicing mindfulness. Download the app to your phone for access to tons of free guided meditations.
There are many free Hypnobirthing, Hypnobabies, and other birth meditations on Spotify, Napster, Itunes, or youtube. Click the button to the right for a great example
Please look up the facebook group Doc & Doula for a growing list of providers offering virtual guided meditations, pelvic floor physical therapy, chats with OB/GYN doc. Dr Bill Chun about the changing landscape of hospitl birth during the pandemic, and to chat with doulas, midwives, and new parents, and other pregnant people like you.
NO ONE PERSON CAN BE, OR DO, EVERYTHING. BUT WE HAVE THE POWER OF COLLABORATION ON OUR SIDE!
While we practice physical distancing, it is imperative to build up strong, reliable networks of virtual social supports, assistance, and advice. The birth world is rapidly adjusting to these changes. Please let us continue to be there for you, giving you expert guidance, access to the newest research, and connections to virtual communities to avoid social isolation during this precious time in your life.
THIS TOO SHALL PASS
The Cyrano Pocket Doula Package:
This birth doula support package includes:
- an unlimited number of virtual meetings via Zoom to establish our connection and get to know one another, as well as to provide education about birth options, changing policies surrounding Covid-19 precautions, and to help you develop birth preferences.
- 24/7 on-call support via phone or text
- the possibility of one prenatal visit in person, dependent on Covid-19 risk screening, to practice massage techniques, spinning babies techniques, and labor/ birth positions
- The possibility of in-home support in early to active labor, depending on your Covid-19 risk screening and changing CDC and WHO recommendations.
- Continuous support via Zoom or other video conferencing app, phone, or text through out the duration of your stay on labor and delivery, through up to 2 hours postpartum, using the method of your choice.
- Access to a long list of trusted perinatal and infant feeding professionals who are providing expert virtual support.
- The possibility of an in home postpartum visit, depending on aforementioned criteria and parent's wishes, or a virtual postpartum visit to trouble shoot any issues with baby and talk about your birth experience.
FEES: In order to offer services to a broader population I am using a client-controlled sliding scale between
The economy is up in the air and many of us have lost our employment and/or source of income. If you are still financially comfortable and choose to pay on the higher end of the scale you are, in effect, making a donation to enable families without such financial security an opportunity to receive the same expert care and guidance for their pregnancy and birth.
CHILDBIRTH CLASSES- LIVE STREAMED
I am now offering my comprehensive Childbirth Education series in a Live-streamed format on Zoom. Please contact me to set up an individual time for you and your family, or check back soon for a list of virtual class offerings.